What is Schizophrenia?
Schizophrenia is a severe and often debilitating brain and behavior disorder. It affects key systems in the brain and can alter how one thinks, feels, and acts. Individuals with schizophrenia or schizoaffective disorder may have difficulty distinguishing reality from fantasy. They may also struggle to express and manage emotions. Oftentimes, this chronic mental disorder can make it seem as if a person has lost touch with reality. Although schizophrenia is not as common as other mental disorders, the symptoms can be quite disabling.
Early Warning Signs of Schizophrenia
Symptoms and warning signs of schizophrenia are different for everyone, and they may develop slowly over a period of years or quickly over a period of months or weeks. Early warning signs of schizophrenia may include:
- Hearing or seeing something that isn’t there
- Feelings of being watched
- Speaking or writing in peculiar or nonsensical ways
- Feeling indifferent to a critical situation
- Deteriorating work or academic performance
- Deteriorating personal hygiene
- Withdrawing from social situations
- Responding irrationally or fearfully to a loved one
- Deteriorating sleep or concentration
- Significant weight loss or gain
If you or someone you know is experiencing these early warning signs for a period lasting longer than two weeks, seek help immediately.
Schizophrenia Treatment at Miramont Behavioral Health
At Miramont Behavioral Health, we offer programs such as medically managed detox and acute care.. Our certified mental health professionals are committed to building better lives for our patients with mental illness. For more information, please contact us. We are available 24/7.